Saturday, July 21, 2018

USB to HDMI

I have a 12V TV in my new Lance trailer and I found out the TV's USB input 
doesn't play movies. It's only for pictures and  music. 

I don't have a gaming system or streaming device that I use in there so had to find a way to play movies off a USB jump drive into the TV.

Found this little "Media Player" That you can connect your jump drive to and it outputs HDMI into your TV.    Like everything else. I got it on Amazon.   Media Player,
The device does run sort of warm/hot and although I have tested it out, I haven't run a whole movie on it yet. There are some reviews that say it stops working. I will try to run it longer and report back.



One other thing I realized is that having a 12V TV wouldn't help me if I needed to plug in this device. It has a wall adapter that plugs into 110V. 
I noticed that the adapter output is 5.2VDC and the Lance trailer has USB charging ports near the TV
so I thought I could probably run the player off the Lance USB charging ports. 
I needed to check with Lance to make sure the ports on the trailer could supply 1.5A
remember the thing runs hot...  So I sent a note to Lance and they said their ports supply 2A.
Then I needed to get a plug to fit the Media Player, I found these on Amazon too. Plug
I had to get a 10 pack but I have a lot of "free points" on Amazon  😉
I cut the small end off a USB cable and soldered this small plug on, center pin =  +5V
Which was the red wire on my USB cable. Be careful here if you don't know what you're doing.

 This is what all the stuff looks like. Then just plug the USB cable into the charging port on the trailer, the jump drive into the player and the HDMI cable (you need to have) into the TV.
The onscreen interface is not too bad, pretty simple... Player comes with remote (shown)
 






No comments:

Post a Comment

 KING BIRD RV COVERS Part 2 I have to get as cheap as possible RV cover every year in So. CA. This one only lasted March 2023 to Nov 2023. ...