Saturday, July 7, 2018

Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller Installed on 2017 Tacoma

I'm pulling a Lance Travel Trailer Model 1985 with a "3rd Gen Tacoma".

 

Never towed anything before so I asked around and read a lot of reviews. 
 I saw a lot of 5 star ratings on this controller so I thought I'd give it a shot. 

I had it temporarily wired and velcro'd in until I found a spot where I'd be happy. 
The problem for me is, I'm 6'4" and none of the knee areas around the steering wheel worked for me.
I thought about the little utility compartment to the left of the steering wheel
but I found that it was sort of nice if the passenger (my wife) had access to the thing as well.
So I settled on the compartment above the cup holder under the panel of 1 ECT button
on my SR5.
Sorry I didn't get video of the installation but I was really trying to get it done
sort of quick. 
I've done a lot of electrical work on my job over the years so I had to use those skills here. 
To get the P3 in that compartment I had to buy the Toyota harness (3017-P)
and then splice in about a foot of wire to lengthen the harness. Fortunately, I was able to use the harness wires that came with the controller and just cut off the connector. 
Tried to do a nice job soldering and heat shrink tubing...
 Connecting the connector to the harness in the kick panel was really straight forward and can be found on Youtube. Then you have to run them over to the center console, in the panel above your knees. 
Not too difficult. The hard part was committing to drill a hole in the compartment. 
I thought the best spot would be in the triangular area in back. I also had to remove the pins from the connector and feed the individual wires thru a grommet. Write down what color wire goes to what pin... If you unplug the connector in the kick panel, there won't be power to them and they won't short out!.
I used a small length of split loom over the wires.
The device comes with a couple of mounting brackets, you can see which one I chose to use, here's a picture of the harness and the bracket...
 

 Then the controller plugs in and can be snapped in to the bracket.

Looks like this when finished...


I'm really happy with the way it came out.
You have to be a pretty good tech to pull this off and not get in a hurry. 
If you have any questions, you can send me an e-mail.
 

















No comments:

Post a Comment

 KING BIRD RV COVERS Part 2 I have to get as cheap as possible RV cover every year in So. CA. This one only lasted March 2023 to Nov 2023. ...