Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Onan Microquiet 4000 Generator won’t start, only buzzing sound.





I pushed the generator start button on my inside RV panel just before leaving for a week long trip.

The generator wouldn’t start, only a low buzzing could be heard coming from the generator.

I ended up going on the trip and experienced the same behavior at our campsite.

The friend who was with me was barbequing some food and he walked over while I was trying to start it and he whacked the solenoid on my generator with some tongs he had in his hand and the thing started right up.

I used the “hit it” technique until I got home and then looked for a place to buy a solenoid.

I ended up finding one for a decent price on anyrvparts.com I got the new part a couple days later, unfortunately it had a piece broken out of the corner.

I ended up gluing the piece on with JB Weld and using it. I sent a note to anyrvparts but never heard back anything. They use newspaper for packing material to ship, maybe a problem?

 
Part Number 307-2586  
Price with shipping & tax about $46

Anyway, pretty easy to install, just one bolt and the wire connections,
With the new solenoid, the generator starts up every time.





 







1 comment:

  1. Can you explain the wiring diagram for the relay? What are the top two smaller wires for and where do they connect? What about the larger posts on each side?

    ReplyDelete

 KING BIRD RV COVERS Part 2 I have to get as cheap as possible RV cover every year in So. CA. This one only lasted March 2023 to Nov 2023. ...